Game Date: Flamerule (July) 19, 1483 DR (Dale Reckoning), Year of the Tasked Weasel
Grimm visits Nimozaran at the Septarch Tower to see about joining the wizard’s guild, since he has been dabbling in secret for months now, trying to gain some wizardly knowledge and skill. He has managed to “master” two cantrips and find a familiar beast to train, but that’s about it.
Grimm also “worships” Moradin by drinking as much as he can at the local tavern. While there, a man named Delros talks to him and mentions there may be a problem with Ike Sargis, and many of the commanding officers are worried about him. He has spent less and less time at the Keep training the soldiers, and more and more time at the shrine of Bahamut at the Temple of Pelor, speaking with Grundelmar, the new dwarven priest of Pelor that arrived in town just a few months back.
Demnavani’s half-orc apprentice, Hurum, says in researching long distance communication, he has found information that there used to be a series of wizard towers all linked by portals, that could be activated by the wizards who created them. They passed the activation procedures down over the ages to their apprentices. They used these to travel instantaneously from city to city in this region before the Spellplague, after which the teleportation was not reliable for many decades.
Locations included Fallcrest, Winterhaven, Falmorel, Nenlast, Hammerfast, Kiris Dahn, and there are references to other locations that are unnamed.
At the moment, Nimozaran the Green and Horkin have scrying pools set up. Hurum says that Nimozaran has confirmed they can also contact Valthrun in Winterhaven, and Loremaster Geld Seekingstone (Male dwarf) in Hammerfast via scrying pools.
Amberly speaks with Alkirk and Treona about marrying Tyristys. Alkirk is all for it, believing that the political implications as well as having a powerful dragon help to rid his city of goblins will do wonders for his campaign. Treona thinks it is a bad idea, for many reasons, and implores Amberly at least think about it some more before committing.
Grimm approaches Ike that evening, and gets him to spill the beans (while very drunk): he’s lost his powers, because of something he did, and he’s distraught about it. Eventually he says the following:
- he was approached by someone a year ago, they were disguised and he didn’t know who they were, and they spoke to him about the need for a larger army, which he agrees with
- they said they had other influential friends among the council and advisors and well known citizens who also wanted this done
- they said they had a way, but he would not like it. they would stage attacks on the city from multiple sources at different times, to show that we needed more and better protection.
- they said they would have bandits attack, and they would get the goblinoids from Kiris Dahn to attack, and they would have an “evil” wizard send a zombie horde (small, only a few hundred) at the city.
- He was assured by this mysterious individual that he would know ahead of time when and where the attacks would take place, so he could minimize casualties, but then having multiple attacks like these would help him get support for building the army up.
- He asked Bahamut for guidance and was given a vision of a paladin of Bahamut (he couldn’t see the face of the person in the vision) leading a great army against a legion of undead, and then leading an army against the goblinoid tribes in Kiris Dahn. He assumed that meant he should go forward with the plan.
- After he agreed, he was asked to do some things: find/buy diamonds for the person; tell him when the richest caravans were leaving town so bandits or goblinoids could waylay them; try and prevent Alkirk from raising his army to take back Kiris Dahn.
- And then he found out Dreus was in on it. She was also approached by the figure, and helped make sure Alkirk did not raise his army to take back Kiris Dahn. At the behest of this mysterious figure, she even hired the mercenary group from Hammerfast to kill the dragon that was eating all the goblins and preventing them from fulfilling their potential as a serious threat to the valley.
- Over time his powers waned, just a little at first, and by the time they were gone, he hadn’t even noticed because he hadn’t been using any of them for months. Then one day he tried to heal someone during a training session and was unable to. He hasn’t told anyone what happened, Dreus is the only one who knows, as far as he knows.
While this was going on, Rurik was approached by the thieves’ guild, to work for Dreus. She wants him to follow a mysterious figure she is meeting with tonight, and find out who they are (she doesn’t know, and is tired of not knowing). Rurik witnesses a conversation between Dreus and this person, while he is hidden in Dreus’ home. The mysterious figure admits to letting the situation get out of hand, but she can still salvage it if she can just get hold of all the items; and there is one other possibility that she will not reveal.
After leaving, Rurik follows her, and the rest of the group follows Rurik at a distance. The figure goes down into the sewers and catacombs underneath the Temple of Erathis, where they found the small zombie horde hiding out recently. Using shape stone, they are able to get into her small lair hidden in the catacombs behind the city’s waterfall. Confronting her there, still disguised, she is speaking through a scrying pool to Kalarel, the evil priest that Amberly had seen in Andok Sur.
Upon attacking her, she disappears in a flash of light, as Kalarel yells through the scrying pool, “Treona, you useless bitch, what’s going on?”
It was Treona…
Confronting Alkirk immediately upon this revelation, the group goes with Alkirk, Ike and Dreus to wake up the rest of the council immediately. Everyone is assembled in the Keep at Ike’s insistance, and everyone is questioned. Various people admit to either having been contacted by this mysterious figure, or working for them. Every one of them thought they were doing something innocent, and that nobody would be harmed, and it wouldnt’ get bad or out of control, and it was all must meant to push the agenda of making the local army/watch/militia bigger and better.
The following people were approached by the figure, asked if they wanted to help her with the agenda of making the arm bigger, they said no, and were never approached by the person again:
Nimena Sandercot, owner of Sandercot Provisioners general store
Barstomun Strongbeard, Porters’ Guild leader
Irena Swiftwater, Swiftwater Boats
Armos Kamroth – approached, agreed to help develop the insurance business, earn money, funnel money to help grow army
Orest – helped Armos with insurance business, never contacted by mysterious person
Dreus Matrand – Approached by figure, agreed to help, thinking nobody would be hurt really, the attacks would just show that the army can’t be everywhere at once, and the fact they happened to be in the right place/right time was simple coincidence.
Nimozaran – approached, ignored figure as he doesn’t care for politics, and doesn’t want a bigger army, he wants more wizards. He says “I don’t care for politics, that’s why I quit this council. But, if it’s a giant zombie army out there, it’s obviously Kalarel; he’s always excelled at necromancy, and has always been a little crazy. If he’s actually raised as many undead as you say he has, he’s obviously been helped by a deity, or Treona has found a way to quickly and cheaply raise them. Kalarel studied here at the Septarch’s Tower when I was studying here.” Then he says he’s had enough, and leaves, after agreeing to contact Horkin and relay what’s happening to him.
Ressilmae says they actually did want the group to go and scout Andok Sur; nobody was told by the mysterious figure to send the group out there, the council thought of that by themselves and agreed it would be a good idea.
Markelhay says there will be further inquiries and investigations before he makes any major decisions on what to do with people. At the moment, the zombie army is the most important issue to deal with, and replacing the council at this point will hinder that. The council will reconvene first thing in the morning (it’s 3 am at the moment, everyone was roused from sleep).
Ike confirms the list Rurik found in his room was simply people who were anti-army that he was supposed to try and convince otherwise. The list was given to him by the mysterious figure.